Other things I don't get (WAS: Re: A Joeish Erlang distribution(long))

Garrett G. Hodgson <>
Thu Jan 30 02:31:37 CET 2003

> Joe Armstrong wrote:
> >   If every  adopted this the  demand for H/W  would rise -  with great
> > ensuing benefit for the western economy.
> But that's exactly what M and I are doing right now ... M writes
> slower and fatter s/w so that I can sell faster h/w.
> 15 years ago a PC used to take around 2 minutes to boot DOS off
> a floppy. Today it takes 2 minutes to boot Windoze off a 7200
> RPM hd. My good old ZX81 used to have BASIC in ROM and "booted" in a couple
> of seconds.

as a friend of mine put it,
"remember when computers were slow and applications were fast?".

Garry Hodgson                   Let my inspiration flow
Senior Hacker                      in token rhyme suggesting rhythm
Software Innovation Services    that will not forsake me
AT&T Labs                          'til my tale is told and done.