A Joeish Erlang distribution (long)

Francesco Cesarini francesco@REDACTED
Wed Jan 29 10:50:56 CET 2003

> Interesting choice of SW developers there.

You need many (very many) hands and feet to add up the years of Erlang
experience you guys have among you, so it was not an accidental pick.
The discussion was about people evaluating Erlang and using it in small
to medium projects. Jocke says people get scared of the Erlang/OTP
design principles. I say it is a necessary hurdle for them to see how to
design and reason when building their programs, and to unleash Erlang's
full potential.

> As a matter of fact, if
> Jocke, Joe and I were to write something BIG together, we probably
> wouldn't use the the "OTP design principles" or whatever they are called.

You would not divide the processes into behaviors? You would not place
your behaviors in supervision trees? You would not encapsulate your
supervision trees in applications? You would not glue together your
applications and start them using a boot file? If you use the generic
behaviors or not, that is another story The OTP design principles are
something beginners *should* start doing as soon as they are confident
with Erlang, as it is the natural step towards writing their own.

If you prefer to avoid the systools, or implement your own application
controller as the existing one lacks many features, fine. If you stay
away from the release handler, you are not alone (I avoid it myself
whenever possible). And if you use your own error logging mechanism,
that makes two of us. But I have a hard time following how you can not
build a large coherent system without using the theory behind the
Erlang/OTP design principles as it is described in the documentation
manuals or in the OTP course material we have been using on thousands of
people for almost 8 years. I would be very careful to recommending
people evaluating Erlang or building their first product to bypass the
principles, as that is what makes Erlang even more powerful than what it
already is.

> Not me anyway, I don't like them (because I don't understand them)

I am sure we can invite you when we give a course near you ;-)

Cheers,
Francesco
--
http://www.erlang-consulting.com