A Joeish Erlang distribution (long)

Vance Shipley vances@REDACTED
Mon Jan 27 21:41:38 CET 2003

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 05:32:33PM +0100, Kenneth Lundin wrote:
}
}  Here are some comments from the Erlang/OTP Product Manager at Ericsson.
}
}  1) We have plans to divide the Erlang/OTP distribution into s number of
}  separate packages. Preliminary we are thinking of 3 packages:
}  - Core package (erts,kernel,stdlib,sasl,mnesia,os_mon,inets,compiler,..)
}  - Tools&Utilities (parse_tools, tools, debugger, observer, et, tv, ...
}  - Telecom/protocols (snmp, asn1, orber, megaco, ...

I would suggest that the core package be even more limited.  All you really
need to run Erlang is erts, kernel and stdlib.  A "Development" package
would be appropriate.  If you think in terms of embedded systems and what
they require it makes a cleaner seperation.

It would be nice if the build process asked what you wanted to build.  It
is a pain to be waiting for your shiny new emulator to arrive and see that
it's wasting your time building Corba tools.  I've adopted the procedure
of first touching lib/cosEvent/SKIP etc.

	-Vance