R9 toolbar and Red Hat 8

Kent Boortz kent@REDACTED
Sat Jan 25 16:56:43 CET 2003

"steve@REDACTED" <shrogers@REDACTED> writes:
> I've compiled Erlang/OTP R9 on Red Hat 8.0 and Erlang seems to work
> for command line programs but I can't lanuch the toolbar.  I get the
> following error.
>
> erl -s toolbar
> Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.2 [source] [hipe]
>
> Eshell V5.2  (abort with ^G)
> 1> {"init terminating in do_boot",{startup_timeout,toolbar}}
> init terminating in do_boot ()
>
> I see in the release notes that R9 uses Tcl/Tk 8.3.4 while RH 8 has
> 8.3.3.  Could this be the source of my problem, or should I be
> looking elsewhere?

Does it take unusual long time to run the "wish8.3" or "wish" program?
If you start a new shell and it takes a long time to start "wish8.3"
the first time but not after that then it can be that your PATH is
incorrect, i.e. points to a non existing directory that the operating
system try to automount or something but fails after a long timeout.

Is it working if you start erlang first and then start the toolbar?

  % erl
  Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.2 [source] [hipe]
  1> toolbar:start().

If it still times out, do you have the same problem if you start GS
first?

  % erl
  Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.2 [source] [hipe]
  1> gs:start([{kernel,true}]).
  2> toolbar:start().

kent