your mail

Klacke klacke@REDACTED
Sun Jan 19 02:27:32 CET 2003

On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 03:58:55PM -0800, Roger wrote:
> I had asked this on comp.lang.functional, and Ulf kindly pointed me to this email list. I have a problem getting distributed erlang working on my home network.  I think I may be missing a step.
>
> Step 1:
>
> start epmd on both machines, Server and Client
>
> % ./epmd -d -daemon
> % ./epmd -names
> epmd: up and running on port 4369 with data:
> %
>

> Start erl on Server:
>
> % erl -sname Server -setcookie ABC
>
> Start erl on Client
>
> % erl -sname Client -setcookie ABC
>
> Check epmd:
> % ./epmd -names
> epmd: up and running on port 4369 with data:
> name Server at port 54143
>

> I then compile the bank_client and bank_server erl examples. This works on the same local machine, but I cannot get it to work with the client running on one, and the server on another machine.
>
> Any ideas ?

sounds like a cookie problem.

1. Don't start epmd manually, it'l be started correctly for you
   if it isn't running.

2. Create a ~/.erlamg.cookie file with perms -r--------
   in your HOME dir on both machines.

3. Check connectivity by calling,
(a@REDACTED)1> rpc:call(a@REDACTED, erlang, nodes, []).

Or any other Mod, Fun, ArgsList

If that doesn't work and since it;s your home network, maybe
you have a DNS lookup problem. Try by calling inet:gethostbyname("host1") on
host2 ... and vice versa.

/klacke

--
Claes Wikstrom                        -- Caps lock is nowhere and
Alteon WebSystems                     -- everything is under control