Structs (was RE: Record selectors)

Chris Pressey cpressey@REDACTED
Thu Jan 16 21:51:28 CET 2003

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 11:00:07 +0100 (CET)
Joe Armstrong <joe@REDACTED> wrote:

>   Golly, you're right.

Whoops, sorry!  I should have thrown an ambiguity exception.

>   There once was a sign painter who had to make a sign saying:
>
> 	"James and son"
>
>   He was  wasn't very good at  placing commas ,so he  asked the person
> who wanted the sign:
>
>   "Should there be a comma between James and and and and and son"
>
>   Now  I'm not  sure about  the placement  of the  commas  between the
> placement of commas between the and's.
>
>   Challenge:  Produce a  valid English  sentence with  more  than five
> consecutive ands.

Errr... I don't think I can, at least not without getting a headache.
But my girlfriend, who has a degree in this sort of thing, tells me that
the sentence "Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo" is valid English
(meaning "Bison from a city in New York confuse other bison from the same
city")

I conclude that language is more trouble than it's worth.  From now on,
I'm just going to point and grunt.  :)

-Chris