Word origins (mnensia and mnemosyne)

Mike Williams mike@REDACTED
Tue Jan 7 09:59:44 CET 2003

In article <20021230183623.A24257@REDACTED>,
 klacke@REDACTED (Klacke) writes:
|> On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 04:35:43PM +0100, Daniel Dudley wrote:

|> Once the OTP kit was getting ready for prime time, a couple
|> of serious suits came into my little research cubicle, closed
|> the door and said - Klacke, we must do something about this
|> non-proffesional-sounding name of the OTP database.
|>
|> I dropped the A.

Klacke,

I may wear a tie, but I don't wear a suit.

Getting a new technology accepted means (unfortunately) getting
the technology accepted by management who have different criteria
for acceptance than the programming community. Look at all the
industry committees which have grown up arround Linux. At the end of
day it is the same people who do the practical work. It pays to
endure a small measure of political correctness to achieve one's goals,
(which is why you were prepared to change the name).

/mike

PS. When the measure of political correctness gets out of hand,
then you have to take drastic measures.