Erlang and Oracle

Shawn Pearce spearce@REDACTED
Wed Feb 26 06:19:12 CET 2003

Sean was kind enough to send me his driver for OCI8. :-)

I liked his erl code, but erts linked in driver code always gives me
shivers.

I'm thinking about using OTL (http://otl.sourceforge.net/) and ei
to build an external C node which provides a multithreaded interface
to Oracle.  This would allow multiple Erlang nodes and processes to
multiplex onto shared Oracle connections, without the threat of
bugs in OCI, OTL or my own code taking down erts.

If I succeed, I'll try to make it a user contrib.

(For those that haven't seen it yet, OTL looks pretty slick, uses
C++ templates to quickly bind to inlined OCI8/OCI9 calls, hiding
most of the uglyness of working with OCI, but still provides raw
access if you must have it for an advanced feature or two.)

--
Shawn.

  Q:	How do you save a drowning lawyer?
  A:	Throw him a rock.