Extending Erlang

Vance Shipley vances@REDACTED
Thu Feb 20 20:45:15 CET 2003

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 09:56:34AM -0600, James Hague wrote:
}  Ulf Wiger wrote:
}
}  >Using named ports, port_control(), and the ability to
}  >build and return an Erlang term directly in the driver
}  >routine, you can basically create your own BIFs today.
}  >The overhead is minimal compared to normal BIFs.
}
}  Documentation about this, of course, is nonexistent :)
}  seems a black art.  What the heck do port_control() and other undocumented
}  hooks do?  What are some of the callbacks in the driver entry struct for?

It's all documented in the normal places.  We could always use more
tutorials of course but these things are as well documented as everything
else.  And there are tutorials:

	http://www.erlang.org/doc/r9b/doc/tutorial/part_frame.html
	http://www.erlang.org/doc/r9b/erts-5.2/doc/html/part_frame.html

I have written some linked in drivers and although I did find it difficult
I was able to learn all that I needed using the available documentation as
well as the source.  As has been said previously in this thread it's
supposed to be hard.  :)

   -Vance