Musings on an Erlang GUI System.

Niclas Eklund Niclas.Eklund@REDACTED
Wed Feb 19 17:49:12 CET 2003

Hello!

It's possible to re-direct calls if the IOR contain an
ALTERNATE_IIOP_ADDRESS component (supported by Orber). If the
client-side ORB cannot connect to the master host/port, it tries the
alternate address list. If the server-side ORB is still alive, but the
server object no longer exists, then the call will not be re-directed.
It's also possible to add extra "master"-components, but that's
usually more expensive than ALTERNATE_IIOP_ADDRESS.

Full re-direction requires support for the OMG Fault Tolerance (FT)
specification, which allows the user to replicate objects and to
receive alarms via CosNotification (telecom). The FT specification
includes HeartBeats, which makes it possible to "ping" the server-side
ORB. If no reply is received within the given time-limit the connection is
closed.

Orber users can achieve full, light-weight, re-direction if the
following applies:

 * multi-node Orber installation

 * pseudo-objects

 * ALTERNATE_IIOP_ADDRESS (see corba:add_alternate_iiop_address/3)

 * client-side ORB supports ALTERNATE_IIOP_ADDRESS & IIOP-1.2

In this case, the service will stay alive as long as one of the nodes is
alive. Note, it's not recommended that you use pseudo-objects at all time.

/Niclas