Musings on an Erlang GUI System. [long, very long] ramble... ramble ...

Vlad Dumitrescu (EAW) Vlad.Dumitrescu@REDACTED
Fri Feb 14 09:36:32 CET 2003

> First, I believe it will help to add
> Liveliness  in that checkboxes, buttons, anything
> really can have its own independent, concurrent,
> behavior. It may even lead to other more interesting
> ideas, perhaps even away from the staple buttons and
> boxes that have been our crutch for the last twenty
> years.

Hi,

I have been thinking in those lines too and even started implementing it, but got distracted from it by personal reasons. There are issues that make this somewhat harder that might look at first sight, but I believe it's certainly doable. One problem before R9 was that if everything in the GUI is a process, then 32000 is not enough.

What I had in mind was a core similar to the Photon GUI from QNX (although I didn't get permission to use that reference, it's hard to describe it otherwise in less than 100 words :-) where regions are processes. I didn't get very far though, but it's still on my ToDo list.

regards,
Vlad