vector - to use or not to use....

Bjorn Gustavsson bjorn@REDACTED
Wed Feb 12 08:33:58 CET 2003

The problem with vectors is that they effectively turn off the
generational garbage collector, so that all live data will be copied
on every garbage collection.

That problem makes vectors unsuitable for general use. For some uses,
vectors are clearly faster than alternative heap-based data structures.

There is an implementation of heap sort in the vector.erl module itself.

I did some measurements, comparing that implementation to a similar using
tuples. The vector version is faster. But lists:sort/1 is even faster.

/Bjorn

--
Björn Gustavsson            Ericsson Utvecklings AB
bjorn@REDACTED      ÄT2/UAB/F/P