Differences between modules and library modules.

Lennart Öhman lennart.ohman@REDACTED
Tue Feb 11 17:03:59 CET 2003

Library modules was something we "invented" when we started
to think about release upgrades in run-time in BOS (the predecesor
of OTP). We needed a definition (though we never did a formal one)
of modules in which processes made "quick visits", but never had
any prevailing references to. A library module can therefore,
in most situations, be replaced and the old version purged without
much thinking in to the consequences.

/Lennart

Ulf Wiger wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Enrique Marcote Peña wrote:
>

>>What are the differences between a module and a "library
>>module"?
>

> I would guess that a library module is one that does not
> describe the control a process. lists.erl would be a typical
> library module. I don't know that there is a formal division
> between library and non-library module (what would you call
> gen_server?)

Lennart Ohman                   phone   : +46-8-587 623 27
Sjoland & Thyselius Telecom AB  cellular: +46-70-552 6735
Sehlstedtsgatan 6               fax     : +46-8-667 8230
SE-115 28 STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN     email   : lennart.ohman@REDACTED