Extending arithmetic

Vlad Dumitrescu (EAW) Vlad.Dumitrescu@REDACTED
Tue Feb 11 14:11:56 CET 2003

>   Ok  if we add  a feature  X to  the language  we should  also remove
> something.

Hi,

My 2 pence... I think the Driver Toolkit might be able to deliver a painless addition of features to the language, by easily interfacing with existing libraries. Not everything should be built into the runtime.

>   That  means  I'd like  to  see  additions  for things  like  process
> migration and safe agent programming etc.

An image that popped up in my mind was that we could send a "freeze" command to a process and then be able to retrieve the process heap. It could then be moved to another VM, and the process could be thawed... it wouldn't notice a thing :-) Maybe some of this can be included in the gen_ behaviours, but for the heap retrieval/restoration the runtime will have to cooperate.

regards,
Vlad