Brain dump #2 - zope and grids and GUID's

Vlad Dumitrescu (EAW) Vlad.Dumitrescu@REDACTED
Mon Feb 10 12:27:28 CET 2003

> From: Ulf Wiger [mailto:etxuwig@REDACTED]
> I too spent significant time on this GUID problem back in my
> Disaster Response days. I eventually settled on this method
> of creating GUIDs in Erlang as Good Enough(tm):
>
> new_guid() ->
>   {node(), erlang:now()}.

I agree this is good enough. I understand very well the appeal Joe feels for having IDs that hint at the location, and I would be glad to see it work. Trying to express better my thoughts, I think there is a need for both "weird" Ids (internally, machine only) and readable ones. IMHO the latter are more like a naming system, thus orthogonal (or almost) with the former.

Another thought: Isn't more interesting when searching to refer to the content of the document? I rather not try to remeber my latest project specification is called guid://machine.org/2003-01-31/45 :-) When there are many documents, these readable ids become just as meaningless pointers as "weird" ones, thus mostly for machine use. We humans will use a directory/cataloging system anyway, I think.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
regards,
Vlad