Megaco woes with ServiceChangeReason = ReasonToken EQUAL VALUE

Peter-Henry Mander erlang@REDACTED
Wed Feb 5 09:45:54 CET 2003

Hi Micael,

Yes, this is what I expect too. Allow me to elaborate. Below is the function I
use to issue the service change, with a small modification to match the Reason
field in your example:

service_change(ConnHandle, Method, Reason) ->
    megaco:call(
       ConnHandle,
       [#'ActionRequest'{
          contextId = ?megaco_null_context_id,
          commandRequests = [
             #'CommandRequest'{
                command = {
                   serviceChangeReq,
                   #'ServiceChangeRequest'{
                      terminationID = [?megaco_root_termination_id],
                      serviceChangeParms = #'ServiceChangeParm'{
                         serviceChangeMethod = Method,
                         serviceChangeReason = ["901 mg cold boot"], %%% mod here
                         serviceChangeVersion = 2
                      }}}}]}],
       []
    ).

This produces the following message. The serviceChangeReason field format has
quotes, similar to your example:

MEGACO/1 [10.1.0.200]:2944
Transaction = 1 {
	Context = - {
		ServiceChange = root {
			Services {
				Method = Restart,
				Version = 2,
				Reason = "901 mg cold boot"
			}
		}
	}
}

But if I modify the serviceChangeReason to be a safeChar string, containing
digits only, thus:

service_change(ConnHandle, Method, Reason) ->
    megaco:call(
       ConnHandle,
       [#'ActionRequest'{
          contextId = ?megaco_null_context_id,
          commandRequests = [
             #'CommandRequest'{
                command = {
                   serviceChangeReq,
                   #'ServiceChangeRequest'{
                      terminationID = [?megaco_root_termination_id],
                      serviceChangeParms = #'ServiceChangeParm'{
                         serviceChangeMethod = Method,
                         serviceChangeReason = ["901"], %% using safeChar
                         serviceChangeVersion = 2
                      }}}}]}],
       []
    ).

I get the following result where 901 appears without quotes:

MEGACO/1 [10.1.0.200]:2944
Transaction = 1 {
	Context = - {
		ServiceChange = root {
			Services {
				Method = Restart,
				Version = 2,
				Reason = 901
			}
		}
	}
}

So I conjecture that if you change line 32 from ["901 mg col boot"] to ["901"]
you too will have a similar result. I think that the comment in the ABNF
suggests that even a safeChar string should be formatted with quotes.

<rant importance=low>
I humbly believe that the comment about serviceChangeReason should have been
rewritten as a rule in the IETF's ABNF file to avoid ambiguity, and that Note 1
in Annex B.2 has allowed the IETF to be less than rigourous with their own ABNF
code.
</rant>

Pete.

P.s. I modified line 9 in your listing 'cos Mozilla didn't like copying the
binary string in ip4Address.

Micael Karlberg wrote:
    1 Hi,
    2
    3 I would like to see your erlang message, because when I try,
    4 it works just fine. Here's an example:
    5
    6 Erlang megaco (service change) message
    7 {'MegacoMessage',asn1_NOVALUE,
    8      {'Message',1,
    9           {ip4Address,{'IP4Address',"********",asn1_NOVALUE}},
   10           {transactions,
   11               [{transactionRequest,
   12                    {'TransactionRequest',
   13                        9998,
   14                        [{'ActionRequest',
   15                             0,
   16                             asn1_NOVALUE,
   17                             asn1_NOVALUE,
   18                             [{'CommandRequest',
   19                                  {serviceChangeReq,
   20                                      {'ServiceChangeRequest',
   21                                          [{megaco_term_id,
   22                                               false,
   23                                               ["root"]}],
   24                                          {'ServiceChangeParm',
   25                                              restart,
   26                                              {portNumber,
   27                                                  55555},
   28                                              asn1_NOVALUE,
   29                                              {'ServiceChangeProfile',
   30                                                  "resgw",
   31                                                  1},
   32                                              ["901 mg col boot"],
   33                                              asn1_NOVALUE,
   34                                              asn1_NOVALUE,
   35                                              asn1_NOVALUE,
   36                                              asn1_NOVALUE}}},
   37                                  asn1_NOVALUE,
   38                                  asn1_NOVALUE}]}]}}]}}}
   39
   40 And this is what it looks like pretty-encoded:
   41
   42 MEGACO/1 [124.124.124.222]
   43 Transaction = 9998 {
   44 	Context = - {
   45 		ServiceChange = root {
   46 			Services {
   47 				Method = Restart,
   48 				ServiceChangeAddress = 55555,
   49 				Profile = resgw/1,
   50 				Reason = "901 mg col boot"
   51 			}
   52 		}
   53 	}
   54 }
   55
   56 And this is what it looks like compact-encoded:
   57
   58 !/1 [124.124.124.222]
   59 T=9998{C=-{SC=root{SV{MT=RS,AD=55555,PF=resgw/1,RE="901 mg col boot"}}}}
   60
   61
   62 Regards,
   63 	/BMK
   64
   65 Peter-Henry Mander writes:
   66 > Good evening Erlang Megaco gurus,
   67 >
   68 > I have a question concerning the interpretation of the
   69 > serviceChangeReason ABNF description (versions one and two *), which
   70 > quotes (**):
   71 >
   72 >    ; A serviceChangeReason consists of a numeric reason code
   73 >    ; and an optional text description.
   74 >    ; A serviceChangeReason MUST be encoded using the quotedString
   75 >    ; form of VALUE.
   76 >    ; The quotedString SHALL contain a decimal reason code,
   77 >    ; optionally followed by a single space character and a
   78 >    ; textual description string.
   79 >
   80 >    serviceChangeReason  = ReasonToken  EQUAL VALUE
   81 >
   82 > ... and a little further down we have (***):
   83 >
   84 >    VALUE                = quotedString / 1*(SafeChar)
   85 >
   86 > The Erlang Megaco implementation follows the VALUE spec, not the
   87 > quotedString requirement as described in the comment. i.e.
   88 >
   89 > MEGACO/1 [10.1.0.200]:2944
   90 > Transaction = 1 {
   91 >     Context = - {
   92 >         ServiceChange = root {
   93 >             Services {
   94 >                 Method = Restart,
   95 >                 Version = 2,
   96 >                 Reason = 901   <-------  1*(SafeChar)
   97 >             }
   98 >         }
   99 >     }
100 > }
101 >
102 > -OR-
103 >
104 > MEGACO/1 [10.1.0.200]:2944
105 > Transaction = 1 {
106 >     Context = - {
107 >         ServiceChange = root {
108 >             Services {
109 >                 Method = Restart,
110 >                 Version = 2,
111 >                 Reason = "901 Cold Boot"  <------- quotedString
112 >             }
113 >         }
114 >     }
115 > }
116 >
117 > But if the comments are followed to the letter (and I understood
118 > correctly) the Reason should be quoted every time, thus:
119 >
120 > MEGACO/1 [10.1.0.200]:2944
121 > Transaction = 1 {
122 >     Context = - {
123 >         ServiceChange = root {
124 >             Services {
125 >                 Method = Restart,
126 >                 Version = 2,
127 >                 Reason = "901"  <------- quotedString even when
128 > 1*(SafeChar) matches.
129 >             }
130 >         }
131 >     }
132 > }
133 >
134 > Erlang Megaco is technically correct if the ABNF is stripped of comments
135 > (which is what happens when building the Erlang Megaco stack from the
136 > spec, the ABNF/ASN.1 compiler won't read comments, or am I
137 > underestimating Erlang? :-). It looks as if those knowledgable fellows
138 > of the IETF should have specified:
139 >
140 > serviceChangeReason = ReasonToken  EQUAL quotedString (instead of VALUE)
141 >
142 > Am I correct? How do I force Erlang Megaco to _always_ send
143 > quotedString, not just when there are unSafeChars in the string? Is it
144 > strictly necessary to enforce quotedString?
145 >
146 > Help!
147 >
148 > Pete.
149 >
150 > * Versions 1.03 as in draft-ietf-megaco-3015corr-03.txt and 2.03 as in
151 > draft-ietf-megaco-h248v2-03.txt
152 >
153 > ** line 6557 in v1.03 and line 7275 in v2.03
154 >
155 > *** line 6623 in v1.03 and 7531in v2.03
156 >