Mnesia data capabilities

Inswitch Solutions - Erlang Evaluation erlang@REDACTED
Tue Dec 30 02:12:12 CET 2003

Hi,

I would appreciate if anybody can give us some advice about mnesia, as
we have seen certain limitations, in terms of mnesia tables and data
size, which we can not precisely know. So, we wonder if there is an
optimum relationship among the number of tables and the size of each
table for a certain amount of records, of a certain size to be saved.

Let me describe you our situation: we would like to migrate 10.000.000
records, from a file server to a mnesia database:

The information on the file server, is in text format, (each line is a
record of 100 bytes) as follows:

It contains a complex directory structure, with 100.000 files, and each
of the files has 100 lines of 100 bytes each. As I mentioned, each line
is one "record" with phone user data. Initially, all we want to do is to
remove the file server, so we are not creating a set of fields for each
record. Instead, we are considering each record as a single piece of
information.

So, my question is how to build/distribute a set of tables in a "mnesia
safe structure" that could hold this amount of records (10.000.000
records) in an optimum configuration

We have initially considered the following alternatives:

1)       Creating 1000 tables, with 10.000 records each. Tables have
been created, but it crashes with "mnesia info", with the tables empty
2)       100 tables, with 100.000 records each
3)       One huge table (10.000.000 records) partitioned

Best Regards,

daniel