Small poll

Peter-Henry Mander erlang@REDACTED
Fri Dec 19 08:37:40 CET 2003

On the "let it crash" vein of the topic, I'm writing a SIP message parser. I ended up writing functions and code that only match positively with lexemes, letting the parser "crash" on mismatches, and catching to retry with alternative lexemes where multiple matches may occur. It makes the lexer *much* easier to read and debug!

In the end the parser exclusively uses only pattern matching and function clauses. No "if" or "case" or any other syntactic sugar. And it reads very clearly! (well, for me at least!)

Adding clauses containing exit, throw or returning {error,ErrCode} just adds clutter with no advantage whatsoever.

Pete.

--
"The Tao of Programming
 flows far away