Small poll

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Fri Dec 12 00:30:09 CET 2003

Concerning

    test(A) -> a + 42.			/* 1 */

I like to have tools that I can form mental models of.
Suppose we have a compiler that catches the clause above.
Now let's change it:

    test(A) -> X = a, X + 42.		/* 2 */

Now /* 2 */ _ought_ to have exactly the same semantics as /* 1 */.
But will it?  Not if the compiler lets /* 2 */ past but rejects /* 1 */.
To be consistent, the compiler had better do some kind of data flow
analysis.  But then we bring in

    test(A) -> f(A) + 42.		/* 3 */
    f(A) -> a.

Apart from tracing, run time, and number of reductions, we'd expect
/* 3 */ to behave just like /* 1 */.  Is it proposed that the compiler
will catch this also?  Now we're into inter-procedural data flow analysis.

In order to predict which clauses will be rejected and which will be
allowed through, suddenly I have to know more than syntax rules and
variable scope, I have to know quite a bit about how the compiler works.

Now let's try another one.  This one is NOT expected to have the same
semantics as /* 1 */, /* 2 */, or /* 3 */.

    test(A) -> if 0==0 -> A+42 ; 1==0 -> a+42 end.	/* 4 */

Why should the compiler warn about a+42 when there is no possibility of
that expression ever being evaluated?

In order to figure out whether /* 4 */ will be accepted or rejected,
I have to know whether the compiler does its weak type checking before
or after dead code elimination.

A compiler can warn about anything.  There's nothing to stop a compiler
saying "Warning: your PC has a camera, you are UGLY." or even
"Warning: code compiled on Friday 13 may not work" or
"Warning: I've seen this before and I didn't like it then either".
But *inconsistent* rejection is another matter entirely.

Consider the following Haskell program as an analogue:

    module Main(main)
    where
    main = print (x `div` x)
    x :: Int
    x = 0

This is guaranteed to produce an error at run time.  Guaranteed.
0 is not a legal right argument for `div`; this is just like the
fact that 'a' is not a legal argument for + .

I tried this program with three different Haskell compilers.
All of them were completely silent about it at compile time.
All of them gave a run time exception.
Yet some of them do quite serious unfolding; at least one of them
_must_ have noticed that I was asking for (0 `div` 0).

My vote would therefore be for option 2:
warn about it but still generate code.