Tail/Non tail recursion

Raimo Niskanen raimo.niskanen@REDACTED
Fri Aug 29 09:12:27 CEST 2003

Here are the results from the benchmark tool from the efficiency guide:

               R7B01  R8B   R9B   R9C
-------------------------------------
square plain  1.22  1.01  1.01  1.00
square lcomp  1.34  1.01  1.03  1.01
square tail   1.23  1.05  1.02  1.03
square map    1.70  1.54  1.48  1.48

On my old Sun Ultra 10 for lists of length 30000. The results are
normalized execution time.

Vlad Dumitrescu's simple benchmark indicated something else, and
demonstrated that benchmarks are a bit tricky. The benchmark tool from
the efficiency guide does what it can to eliminate errors. For example
are all tests run in a new process so they will have to do the garbage
collection in the same way. In Vlad's benchmark the first test made the
heap grow so the subsequent tests had a sufficiently big heap to work on
and could run almost without garbage collections.

Here's the code. The benchmark tool produces a neat .html page with the
test results. Try it - you may get addicted. You may even get reliable
results.

-module(square_bm).
-include("bench.hrl").
-export([benchmarks/0]).
-export([bm_square_plain/1,bm_square_tail/1,
	 bm_square_lcomp/1, bm_square_map/1]).

benchmarks() ->
     {100, [bm_square_plain,bm_square_tail,bm_square_lcomp,bm_square_map]}.

bm_square_plain(Iter) ->
     iterate(Iter, fun square_plain/1).

bm_square_tail(Iter) ->
     iterate(Iter, fun square_tail/1).

bm_square_lcomp(Iter) ->
     iterate(Iter, fun square_lcomp/1).

bm_square_map(Iter) ->
     iterate(Iter, fun square_map/1).

iterate(Iter, Fun) ->
     List = lists:seq(1, 30000),
     iterate(Iter, Fun, List).

iterate(0, _Fun, _List) ->
     ok;
iterate(Iter, Fun, List) ->
     Fun(List),
     iterate(Iter-1, Fun, List).

square_plain([]) -> [];
square_plain([H|T]) -> [H*H|square_plain(T)].

square_tail(L) -> square_tail(L, []).
square_tail([], R) -> lists:reverse(R);
square_tail([H|T], R) -> square_tail(T, [H*H|R]).

square_lcomp(L) -> [X*X || X <- L].

square_map(L) ->
     lists:map(fun(X) -> X*X end, L).

Short user's guide:

Place the above benchmark file square_bm.erl in the same directory as
the benchmark tool's two files all.erl and bench.erl.

Edit all.erl at the end to point out your installation(s) of erlang.

Move all *_bm.erl files to some other directory (e.g a subdirectory
./DISABLED) that you do not want to be run in the benchmark.

Start an Erlang command shell and give the commands:
c(all).
all:run().

Exit the Erlang command shell and edit square_bm.erl to change
iterations and/or list length to get run times of a few seconds per
test. Since everyone in the world probably has got faster machines than
I you will have to increase the numbers.

Re-enter the Erlang command shell and give the command:
all:run().

Iterate the last two paragraphs until satisfied. Have a look with your
web browser on the file index.html to see the results.

/ Raimo Niskanen, Erlang/OTP, Ericsso AB.