Enterprise Erlang Beams?

Vlad Dumitrescu vlad_dumitrescu@REDACTED
Wed Aug 27 10:36:27 CEST 2003

Hi,

> > Is there anyone that is familiar with J2EE and EJBs who knows if it would be
> > possible to implement something similar to Enterprise Java Beans in Erlang?

> Has anyone thought more about this?

Since I am working with J2EE on a daily basis, I couldn't help but keep thinking
about an Erlang solution instead... And there are some general things I've come
up with:

- I don't think it would be good to try to imitate J2EE. Many J2EE features are
aimed at solving things that are non-problems in Erlang (as you pointed out
also). Maybe a better way to express the goal would be "implementing an
Enterprise Application Server".

- An aspect where Java has the upper hand is security: JVM is acting as a
sandbox, while BeamVM isn't. This might be important.

- On the web side, we would need a framework to bridge the gap between HTML and
the application. Custom tag libraries, or other templating mechanisms, could be
an elegant solution that is already in place. The semantic gap from todays web
design should not be large.

I have a feeling there was more to say, but I'll be back when I remember. :-)
best regards,
Vlad