ReRe: why isolated components

Joe Armstrong joe@REDACTED
Fri Aug 22 16:26:04 CEST 2003

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Laszlo Varga wrote:

> Hello,
> it seems that we are getting understand each other.
> At least we have no clear idea about what Joe want to have.
> Really, it seems that the motivation is to have something
> process based fault tolerancy or robustness or at least stability.
> UBF is also behind the scene, what makes me suspicious.
>
> Maybe I'm mistaken, but the main point in UBF - I think- the C level,
> the contract. It makes an UBF contract much more strict then an IDL.
> In other words, it specifies the dynamic behaviour while IDLs-are just static.

Yes. APIs are deeply flawed:

Look at this code:

silly() ->
    {ok, H} = file:open("foo.dat", read),
    file:close(H),
    file:read_line(H).

It is stupid - yes, you can't read a line *after* you've closed the file.

Here's the API in some type system:

+type file:open(fileName(), read | write) ->
        {ok, fileHandle()}
      | {error, string()}.

+type file:read_line(fileHandle()) ->
	{ok, string()}
      | eof.

+type file:close(fileHandle()) ->
	true.

+deftype fileName()   = [int()]
+deftype string()     = [int()].
+deftype fileHandle() = pid().

Does this help? - No way.

Add states, like this:

+type start x file:open(fileName(), read | write) ->
           {ok, fileHandle()} x ready
         | {error, string()}  x stop.

+type ready x file:read_line(fileHandle()) ->
	   {ok, string()} x ready
         | eof x atEof.

+type atEof | ready x file:close(fileHandle()) ->
	   true x stop.

+type atEof | ready x file:rewind(fileHandle()) ->
           true x ready

Rule (2) says for example that in the state "ready" you can
evaluate  file:read_line(fileHandle()) and it will return
something of type {ok, string()} and move into state "ready", or it
will return eof and move into state "atEof"

> Is not the THING about building a contract-specified component system?

Yes^100.

Contracts and APIs are *almost* equivalent.

  IMHO systems  should be made of  black boxes (ie  my famed components
that I keep blithering on about) - you check the inputs and outputs to
the BBs NOT what goes on at every single function call.

  Inside a BB you might program in assembler (whatever) break all rules of
common-sense etc. But "at the door" - when you pass in or out of the
BB you *must* obey the protocol. Observational equivalence applies.
Any two BBs that behave the same way ARE equivalent.

  The nice thing about doing dynamic checking is we can add non-functional
requirements.

  for example:

	ready x read_line -> ( {ok, string()} x ready
			       eof x error ) within 5 seconds

  Which is way beyond the state-of-the-art in statically checked systems.

> If it were, i'd like it.

  Then you should like this approach

  /Joe