Enterprise Erlang Beams?

Mikael Karlsson mikael.karlsson@REDACTED
Fri Aug 22 15:39:45 CEST 2003

Howdy,
I started to read one of those bricksized books about J2EE and Enterprise Java
Beans (EJB) during vacations. I must confess I never made it through. However
since I relate many things to what can be implemented in Erlang I am still
thinking about it.
It is a bit irritating that so many things get implemented in Java on the
server side when Erlang is so much better, isn't it? Web applications seem to
use Java all the way from WebServices-SOAP (Apache Axis), Servlets (Tomcat)
and EJBs (JBoss). Now, I would not expect that many transactions per second
out of my system when you put several of those together (which you do, see
for example http://titanium.dstc.edu.au/gehr/demonstrator/resources.shtml).
Especially if you need SSL as well.

Is there anyone that is familiar with J2EE and EJBs who knows if it would be
possible to implement something similar to Enterprise Java Beans in Erlang?
As far as I understand (I didn't finish the book remember :) the main point
of EJBs is that the container they live in takes care of parallel processing
and transaction processing towards databases with rollbacks etc. Parallel
processing is for free in Erlang :-) and maybe one could wrap a transaction
around a gen_server or gen_fsm to get something like what you have in an EJB.
EJB spec. also has a mapping to CORBA. CORBA is implemented in Erlang,
including cosTransactions.

Thanks
Mikael