ReRe: why isolated components

Joe Armstrong joe@REDACTED
Fri Aug 22 14:57:29 CEST 2003

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Laszlo Varga wrote:

> Hello,
> thanks for the "answer". Right, isolation reduces the (possible) complexity,
> but is that the motivation for the wrapper project? For coping with complexity
> we have several other isolation technics, like namespace, functions, or
> objects. Part of the mail thread showes that the main motivation is to cope
> with the "dynamic complexity". (Reduing the number of states, I mean).
> Other reflections say that it is for robustness.

  When  I  use  the  world  isolation  I'm thinking  of  the  kind  of
protection domains offered by processes.

  Two components  running on two different computers  in two different
countries are isolated :-)

  Namespaces are a different kind of isolation.

> Other benefits that not mentioned are the reusability, the cooperation of
> programmers, the testabilty, and ....
>
> I guess that everybody who started programming knows these benefits in general.
> There are many tools and paradigmas to support this idea.
> But now, people seems to start thinking something new,
> and I wanted to provocate them to try to be precise at the start.
> I know well that it is hard. But also had bad experience when ommited
> this hard phase.
>

> So what we (Joe) want?
>
> Robust system?

  Yes

> Real time system?
> Open system?
> Replacing CORBA.
> Supervised components?
> Standardised components?
> ???
> ???
> ???
>
> All of them?

Not yet.

In the old days the great masters said:

  "get it right before you make it fast" - IMHO the "getting it right"
bit is the difficult bit (VERY  difficult) - making it fast once it is
right in much easier.

  Unfortunately, virtually every (or possibly it is every) system only
gets things almost right and  customers have been lead to believe that
fast flashy  software that crashes now  and then looses  their work is
preferable to simpler and more reliable things.

My view is that

	1) We should construct systems from isolated components
	2) The systems should communicate with asynchronous messages
	3) The sequencing and types of these messages should be governed
	   by contracts
	4) The contracts should be checked dynamically and all the time

	  Read www.sics.se/~jeo/ubf for more details

  We should also aim to improve the isolation bit - ie make Erlang etc
better to avoid malicious inter-process denial of service attacks.

  Once we have done 1) - 4)  in a realistic system we will have got to
the "get  it right"  toll-gate. Then we  can start thinking  about the
"make it fast" bit and some of the other issues you addresses.

  /Joe