The wrapper project

Twan van der Schoot twanvds@REDACTED
Fri Aug 22 00:20:17 CEST 2003

Hi All,

I would like to add a design constraint one of a "dynamic" nature.

"When desiging commuicating processes one should not make any assumptions on
the relative speeds of either process".

Which is a formulation of my own but based on a note by the late Dijkstra
[EWD123, p.10], but there it was part of a problem statment. Dijkstra
elevated this later to a kind of "design stance" rather than a strict rule
[EWD1303, p.33,
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/transcriptions/EWD13xx/EWD1303.html .It
think it is quite worthwhile to read]

But as a rule in its more strict sense (replace "should" by "must") served
me well.

It also, I believe, strengthens Joe's second rule, and makes the distinction
between language or OS issues moot, as it is a design issue.  Eventhough it
would be nice if an OS or langauge makes it easy to implement designs
following resulting from this rule, e.g. Erlang ;-)

Twan