getting erl_interface C program to reply to net_adm:ping/1

Rick Pettit rpettit@REDACTED
Thu Aug 7 16:56:37 CEST 2003

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 02:08:36PM +0100, Peter-Henry Mander wrote:
> Also, what is involved in making a 'C' node behave like a visible node
> instead of a hidden one?

Haven't gotten that far yet but the docs (Erl Interface User's Guide) seem to
say:

1.7 Using EPMD

Epmd is the Erlang Port Mapper Daemon. Distributed Erlang nodes register with
epmd on the localhost to indicate to other nodes that they exist and can accept
connections. Epmd maintains a register of node and port number information, and
when a node wishes to connect to another node, it first contacts epmd in order
to find out the correct port number to connect to.

When you use erl_connect() to connect to an Erlang node, a connection is first
made to epmd and, if the node is known, a connection is then made to the Erlang
node.

*** C nodes can also register themselves with epmd if they want other nodes in
    the system to be able to find and connect to them. ***

I put ***'s around the pertinent part. Seems to indicate that the node is no
longer "hidden", but again I have not yet tested this. I will try get back to
you when I have.

-Rick