Fwd: forwarded message from Christian Tismer (fwd)

Joe Armstrong joe@REDACTED
Tue Apr 22 12:42:53 CEST 2003

  A Stackless Python  context switch may or may not  be faster than an
Erlang context  switch - in  any case I  fail to see why  the question
should be interesting.

  Stackless Python (presumably) allows for an efficient implementation
of Python threads - but  Python threads themselves seem to suffer from
all the usual problems of thread programming -

  Erlang processes  are *independent* (unless you link  them) - Python
threads  share   memory  -  so  you   need  all  the   usual  mess  of
synchronization primitives to get anything  to work and one thread can
happily  corrupt  the  memory  space   of  another  -  IMHO  to  write
fault-tolerant  code  you  need  *independent* processes  (not  shared
memory threads) - doing this takes  processor power - so I'd expect an
Erlang process to have 2-3 times  the overhead of a thread (because it
does a lot  more) - what is surprising is that  (say) Java threads are
so heavyweight.

  Light-weight threads are presumably great  if you want to convince a
Java programmer to use Python - so they can carry on using a difficult
to program shared  memory thread model - but  hardly something that is
desirable  in its own  right -  unless, of  course, you  actually like
solving problems in the most difficult way possible :-)

/Joe