Fwd: forwarded message from Christian Tismer (fwd)

HP Wei hp@REDACTED
Fri Apr 18 15:30:41 CEST 2003

>> Stackless Python is more capable of tasklets
>> switching than any
>> other light-weight threading software package.

>1. The benchmark itself seems kinda meaningless for a
>claim of being a fast thread package. Where is the IPC
>cost? The scheduling cost? The process creation cost?
>etc, etc. (Not to mention realistic conditions ... :-)

>My system was this: RedHat 8.x Athlon 1300+ with 512
>MB of slow memory running out-of-the-box Erlang R9B1.
>(system cost $400)

>Result: csw did AT BEST 6.4 million Erlang context
>switches per second, and ON AVERAGE 5.8-5.9 million
>Erlang context switches per second, over a range of
>parameters (100k-10m context switches per benchmark
>run).

   I run Thomas's csw.erl on my machine:
   Sun-Blade-100 1GHz, 512Mb RAM, and SunOS 5.9, Erlang 5.2(R9B1)

   The result is about 3.1 million CS per second.
   (A factor two slower than Thomas's result.  Perhaps, I have a lot of
    other stuff running on my machine.)

   I myself use python at work instead of perl (the company's standard
   scripting language) because of its cleaner syntax.
   I am learning Erlang now because of its simple (reads clear and effective)
   communication stuff.

 --HP