moving general-purpose functions from httpd_util to stdlib

Bengt Kleberg eleberg@REDACTED
Wed Apr 16 06:59:51 CEST 2003

> Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 13:06:08 -0500
> From: Chris Pressey <cpressey@REDACTED>

...deleted

> herring that clouds the issue.  The question is more about whether it is
> wiser, in general, to write "open" or "closed" cases.
>
> A (possibly) better example:
>
>   % "open" case
>   case A > B of
>     true ->
>       41;
>     _ ->
>       42
>   end
>
>   % "closed" case
>   case A > B of
>     true ->
>       41;
>     false ->
>       42
>   end

i think that your ''closed'' case is the one i use. given a finite (2)
set of results i match them all.

>   % "let-it-crash" style - seems almost like a different problem
>   case catch begin
>                 true = A > B,
>                 41
>              end of
>     {'EXIT', Reason} ->
>       42;
>     Result ->
>       Result
>   end

here you have lost me. i thought the ''closed'' case was the
''let-it-crash'' style. and that one would guard oneself against
crashes by doing:

case catch (A > B) of
true ->
	41;
false ->
	42;
_Other ->
	42
end

i understand this is not what you mean, but fail to understand what it
is you do mean. sorry.

bengt