Read only filesystems

Vlad Dumitrescu vlad_dumitrescu@REDACTED
Mon Apr 7 06:17:17 CEST 2003

Hi,

> I don't want to view a file as a static current version.  I
> want all versions always available (until I explicitly destroy
> them or they age off).  "reverting" shouldn't be a needed
> concept.  There are multiple read-only files, one of which
> is currently "published" if you are sharing with others and
> want a snapshot view.  You can change which version a
> published view contains, but you can always open any file
> or "modify" (i.e. create a new copy with different details)
> any version.

This description brought one image in my head: the ClearCase filesystem (I'm
not sure it is a true FS), where all versions coexist and one uses views to
select any particular version to be the current one. Editing non-current
versions is still possible, but those changes are very difficult to use in a
view where they are not default.

regards,
Vlad