The "reinvention" of Erlang

Chris Pressey cpressey@REDACTED
Wed Apr 2 19:27:26 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003 15:12:59 +0100
Paulo Ferreira <paf@REDACTED> wrote:

>  Excerpts from a recent "post" in comp.arch titled
>
> "A general model of computation: Events"
> [...]
> In reality, computation is implemented by Events, forming
> cause-and-effect chains that eventually produce the desired results.
> This is why Events are fundamental, more efficient and easier to
> understand, and why our computing abstractions have misled us.

So I was right!  beta-Juliet *is* The Ultimate Language!  :)

http://www.catseye.mb.ca/projects/b_juliet-+

beta-Juliet is a "Turing tarpit" with a single abstraction, the event.
Events may cause and be caused by other events.  There are no data, no
functions, no loops - nothing that is conceptually limiting due to its
non-fundamentalness - only a single conditional which is based,
naturally, on which of two events occured more recently.

I've been meaning to re-implement it in Erlang for some time now...

-Chris