FAQ terminology harmonisation

Joe Armstrong joe@REDACTED
Wed Apr 2 11:58:06 CEST 2003

On 1 Apr 2003, martin j logan wrote:

> All,
>     This thread has yielded quite a discussion. I must admit that I
> became quite sick reading Bjorns email proposing pointer syntax and
> destructive assignment, I did not catch the joke until I read further -
> scary.  While some of the suggestions about "nice-ing up" Erlang
> terminology might not sit well with most people on this list, I think
> the idea of making Erlang terminology intelligible and accessible to
> managers and the like is an issue that needs to be addressed. I know
> that all of the people on this list love the language the way it is and
> would like to see it spread. I also know what it is like to try to sell
> a C/C++ shop's management, and engineers for that matter, on something
> new like Erlang. This task is made more difficult when things like,
> letting processes crash being a good thing, are mentioned. It is
> difficult for them to wrap their minds, addled by years of C/C++
> programming:) around "not being defensive, just letting it crash, and
> spawn 20 thousand processes". This difficulty is compounded with those
> phrases are thrown in the mix with dynamic typing, run time code reload,
> and location transparency. Most of the time people look at you like you
> have been smoking something! Am I wrong here??? I don't think that we
> should compromise the basic foundations of the language. Erlang is
> functional, concurrent, a process is a process, a list is a list, and a
> node is a erlang virtual machine:) I just think that we should not be
> shy away from well chosen euphemisms - they should an important part of
> every would-be Erlang salesman's life.

  I think  you're both right and wrong  here - it depends  who you are
selling.

  The sales pitch has to be two dimensional, i.e.

	Problem X Person

  To start with the problem domain  has to be suitable for Erlang - so
I spend  a great deal  of time listening  to what peoples  problem are
before recommending Erlang - often I recommend C - or even visual basic.

  You have to ask the question:  What is Erlang good at? - the answer
is not  *everything* - the answer  is that it is  good at distribution
and fault-tolerant stuff - it's  not good at sequential "poking around
in memory" stuff ...

  Then there  is the person - the  augment directed to a  "suit" or "a
unix guy" or "a java person" are just not the same.

  "suits" need special treatment ... (two sub-categories of suit are
VC (venture capitalist) and "LM" Line management

  If  I'm selling  to "VC"  I always  use the  "MAKE MORE  MONEY FAST"
argument - I present them with good hard evidence that Erlang projects
have a higher chance of succeeding than non-Erlang projects.

  "VC" are  more likely to  take risks, so  they like this  argument -
though they will press hard on details.

  The main objection of the "LM" is that "Erlang in not Java/C++" - if
they allow  Erlang they  are often  taking a big  personal risk  - they
actual stand to gain if they have large development teams and everything
takes a  long time  - their pay  = LengthOfTimeOFPROJECT X  #people in
project - so Erlang is a no no here.

  Selling to programmers is different - getting the "Early adopters is
easy" they *like* new stuff - it's the mainstream that's the problem -
they want "lots  of stuff for free" - they think  "Oh dear, their's no
GUI -  so I can't  use Erlang" -  the early adopters think  "Oh great,
their's no GUI - I'll write one myself ..."

  Arguments  have  to be  *careful*  matched  against  the Problem  X
Mindset of the  person you are trying to sell Erlang  to - if anything
the trend  is towards economic  rather than technical  arguments which
indicates a movement towards the main stream ...

  What does bite  are "statement by other people"  - press releases by
Nortel and  Ericsson where they say  "Erlang is great"  have much more
credibility  than anything  we  can say.  Unfortunately big  companies
don't usually  make a big deal  of "the technology  inside" (apart from
Intel) - since non of their customers actually care what's inside.

  Todays article  (New great stuff from Nortel  programmed in Erlang)
in Computer Sweden is a good example ...

  I still think the best method is "success stories" ...

  /Joe