Raskin book on UI and radical data thoughts

Marc Ernst Eddy van Woerkom Marc.Vanwoerkom@REDACTED
Wed Apr 2 12:02:48 CEST 2003

> I may have to try to find a copy of the book because some
> of the ideas seem familiar to what I have been thinking about
> lately.
> "Perhaps we don't need applications at all. This revolutionary idea

My gut feeling is that there will be no big revolution until we get
mind control. :)

One bit from the book that I see more and more applied is a
more evolutionary progress called zoomable GUIs (or ZUIs or 2.5d
interfaces). There is a group around Ben Bederson

    http://www.cs.umd.edu/~bederson/

that produces cool libs (Jazz) and some nice apps that use this
approach. Nice for mice with a scrolling wheel BTW.
We created a great ZUI at my last company using Jazz.

Another such ZUI lib is VTM

  http://www.xrce.xerox.com/competencies/contextual-computing/vtm/

but I have not programmed it yet.

Regards,