FAQ terminology harmonisation

Vlad Dumitrescu vlad_dumitrescu@REDACTED
Tue Apr 1 13:07:36 CEST 2003

From: "Bjorn Gustavsson" <bjorn@REDACTED>
> To make the thread dictionary easier to use, we will add syntactic
> sugar. Thus
>         var := Expr
> is syntactic sugar for
>         put(var, Expr)
> and in any expression
>         *var
> is syntantic sugar for
>         get(var)

Hi,

This is a most wonderful idea! What a world of possibilities suddenly opens!
I now realize that this is just what I had been expecting!

I hope this will be just one step on the way to making the language easily
accepted by all programmes in the world. The release after that (i.e the one
that will reach general audience April 1, 2005) should include some other
"most wanted" features:

- remove message passing, and use function calls instead
- introduce a new type of data, namely pointer, so that we can access C data
directly
- without messages, processes are quite useless, so skip them too
- make Erang hard-realtime, and remove garbage collection; replace it with
something like (I'm just improvising now) memory_alloc() and memory_free(),
or shorter malloc and free
- pattern matching is very awkward, I think it would be much cleaner to
define functions as for example foo(int x, string baz)

I could continue, but I have to catch my breath and put my thoughts in
order. Wow!
best regards,
Vlad