Make replacement for Erlang - suggestions?

Scott Lystig Fritchie <>
Tue Sep 24 05:34:02 CEST 2002

meevw> What ever happened to the code sourcery attempt to replace some
meevw> of the build/configuration infrastructure?  They ran a
meevw> competition which produced some interesting drafts on what to
meevw> create but which got never implemented, as far as I know.

It's SCons.  See for the
full FAQ.

    "5.4. Is SCons the same as the ScCons design from the Software
    Carpentry competition?
    "Yes. Same design, same developer, same goals, essentially the same
    "SCons, however, is an independent project, and no longer directly
    associated with Software Carpentry. Hence, we dropped the middle 'c'
    to differentiate it slightly, and to make it a tiny bit easier to
    "Even though SCons is being developed independently, the goal is for
    SCons to be a flexible enough tool that it would fit in with any
    future tools that the Software Carpentry project may produce.
    "Note that, at last report, the Software Carpentry project renamed
    their tools with the prefix "qm"--the build tool being "qmbuild"--so
    there shouldn't be any confusion between SCons and any indepent build
    tool that Software Carpentry may eventually produce.
    "Information about Software Carpentry is available at: