Impact of native compilation

Luke Gorrie luke@REDACTED
Thu Sep 12 00:58:06 CEST 2002

Marc Feeley <feeley@REDACTED> writes:

> > What's the word on ETOS' availability? Last year I mailed in asking
> > for the sources to the lastest version, but didn't hear back. The
> > website only has 2.3 in binary, and 1.4 as source.
>
> ETOS has not progressed since version 2.3 and it is unlikely that my
> group will ever finish the implementation completely (i.e. conformance
> to the Erlang spec).  Remember that ETOS is a research project whose
> aim is to show that it is possible to quickly implement a compiler
> from Erlang to Scheme that achieves good performance.  I think we
> attained that goal with ETOS even though not all of Erlang's libraries
> are implemented.

Agreed, it looks like a very nice compiler to me.

But my question is: why is the latest release only distributed as a
binary, with no source code? The website lets you download the sources
for version 1.4, but only linux/solaris binaries for version
2.3. There doesn't seem to be any info about how they differ, either.

Well, my real question is: How can I get a copy of 2.3's sources?

I was playing with ETOS a little bit last year and liked the look of
it, but there's too much of a psychological barrier to hack on a copy
that sounds so outdated :-). Otherwise it's pretty appealing.

Cheers,
Luke