Behaviours

Lennart Öhman lennart.ohman@REDACTED
Sun Sep 8 18:41:55 CEST 2002

Hi,
originally behaviours were developed because their are many
ways to implement a process structure of linked processes
monitoring each other. Monitoring each other in the sence that
you like appropriate actions to be taken if a process terminates
due to a fault. In large project you like all programmers to
use the *same* strategy. It would also be nice if this fault
tolerance stuff was programmed once and for all (by someone
who hopefully knows what he is doing :-). Therefore the code
of a process "using" a certain behaviour is divided into a
generic part and a specific part.

In the generic code these things are hidden, linking, reporting
erronous states, taking some kind of action in the event of
an unexpected process termination etc. You then only have to
write the specific code that will do the task your process is
meant to be responsible for. But since different tasks may
require processes to behave in slightly different manners,
a collection of behaviours were invented.

The specific code must implement an interface to the generic
code. Those functiona are called the call-backs. Take a look
at the man-page for gen_server, which is the simplest behaviour.

/Lennart