Building R8B-2 as a 64-bit application on sparcv9

Bengt Kleberg eleberg@REDACTED
Fri Oct 18 10:46:17 CEST 2002

> Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 04:03:10 -0400
> From: Vance Shipley <vances@REDACTED>
> To: Daniel N?ri <daniel.neri@REDACTED>
> Cc: erlang-questions@REDACTED
> Subject: Re: Building R8B-2 as a 64-bit application on sparcv9
>
> On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 07:58:39AM +0000, Daniel N?ri wrote:
> }
> }  Maybe try
> }
> }    CC='gcc -m64' ./configure
>

> Nope.  I tried changing CFLAGS in the environment and got part way
> through building in 64 but then it started using 32 again for some
> things.

sometimes (gnu)make will lose environment information if it calls
itself too many (>4) times (recursive make). this made it impossible to
build R8 out out-of-the-box on my solaris machine.
my workaround was to manually type the last correct make invocation in
a shell, thereby getting rid of some layers of recursion.

bengt