mnesia cluster limits

Sean Hinde Sean.Hinde@REDACTED
Fri Oct 11 11:17:37 CEST 2002

> We have been arguing amongst ourselves as to the advisability of
> creating a cluster of between 20 and 100 OTP nodes, all running
> mnesia, all with the same erlang and mnesia cookies. Individual tables
> would be replicated sparsely, only where needed.

We have run 28 with a single schema for around 3 years with no great
problems. The only issue we've found is that if the LAN between the nodes
becomes unstable then the whole thing can become fragmented in a
particularly nasty way. It is probably a good idea to think beforehand about
a recovery strategy and create some functions which can set_master_nodes
(both for the schema and other tables) to various sensible sets of tables in
preparation for lots of restarts.. It is not pleasant trying to figure this
out in a fault situation :-)

Sean

NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER: