forget

James Hague jamesh@REDACTED
Tue May 28 21:59:50 CEST 2002

>And then we'll have to stop saying "Erlang is a single assignment
>language" (since, technically, we're making multiple assignments to an
>'invisible' variable.)

I don't think that's the case at all.  The following two are equivalent:

Value = a(b(c())).

Value =
	c(),
	b(^)
	a(^).

There's no assignment in the evaluation of the right hand side of the
expression.  It's just that the "top of the stack," so to speak, is being
carried along.  The preprocessor could convert the latter into the former
without using intermediate variables.  In Forth this would be:

c b a Value !

which I have to admit is prettier.