Higher Order Function Question

Alex Peake apeake@REDACTED
Sat May 25 18:08:15 CEST 2002

Perhaps I could go back a step, to my orginal problem -- obviously not
stated clearly:

I was struggling to use "filter" with the "complement of" a predicate (in my
case not attr:isPk).

In explaining the problem, it came out that in my code I wrote things like:

lists:map({attr,varName}, rel:attrList(rel:findNamed(ng,"Member"))).

I was informed that this is "not elegant" and "inefficient" because it "is
the old classic version of how to call a fun".

So I asked for how to do this the "modern Erlang" way. I pointed out that:

lists:map(fun(Arg) -> attr:varName(Arg) end,
rel:attrList(rel:findNamed(ng,"Member"))).

is more efficient, but as programmer reading this, I find the fun...end part
makes the intent less clear.

Similarly:

Fn = fun attr:varName/1,
lists:map(Fn, rel:attrList(rel:findNamed(ng,"Member"))).

I also find cluttered.

Richard Carlsson suggested the very elegant approach using list
comprehensions:

[attr:varName(Attr) || Attr <- rel:findNamed(ng,"Member")]

This is what I am using.

None-the-less, I am learning Erlang and am interested in the "moderen
Erlang" way to use map, filter. Perhaps the answer is list comprehensions?

Alex

BTW, my solution to the filter with complement of a predicate, thanks to
Richard, is:

[attr:varName(Attr) || Attr <- rel:findNamed(ng,"Member"), not
attr:isPk(Attr)]