Threads support faulty in R8B-0 and R8B-1?

Mikael Pettersson mikpe@REDACTED
Sat May 18 15:48:39 CEST 2002

On Fri, 17 May 2002 15:55:50 -0400, Shawn Pearce wrote:
>I'm having this exact same issue on Debian with 2.4.18.  I built
>beam with hipe, but have not tried it without hipe.  I stuck it on the
>back burner, as I could always run the driver I'm developing in a
>pthread or an external process.
>
>I hadn't seen anything in the mailing list archives about this occuring
>before, but I didn't spend that long search either.
>
>Leonid Timochouk <L.A.Timochouk@REDACTED> scrawled:
>> Hello Erlang users,
>>
>> I am using Erlang/OTP R8B-0 (and now R8B-1) on Debian Linux with glibc
>> 2.2.5, kernel 2.4.18. In both cases, "beam" blocks immediately on start-up
>> if invoked with a non-0 number of threads via the "+A" option, does not
>> even display the initial "Erlang (BEAM) emulator version ..." message. It
>> does create 3 threads, though, and the first of them can be observed with
>> a debugger. It has the following call stack (blocked at "sigsuspend"):

I can reproduce something similar with RedHat 7.3 / glibc-2.2.5.
If I configure with --enable-threads --enable-hipe and start otp
with +A and some number > 0, then it starts ok but hangs after halt().
This does not happen with RedHat 7.2 / glibc-2.2.4.

I've confirmed that disabling HiPE/x86's signal() wrappers prevents the
hang. Unfortunately, those wrappers are required, so for now you should
treat hipe and threads as mutually exclusive on glibc-2.2.5 systems.
I'll look into this problem next week.

/Mikael Pettersson