bad HTML?

Kent Boortz kent@REDACTED
Tue May 14 18:35:46 CEST 2002

Ulf Wiger <etxuwig@REDACTED> writes:
> Is it just my Netscape, or is the HTML doc for 'erlang' in R8B
> badly formatted?
>
> http://www.erlang.org/doc/r8b/lib/kernel-2.7.2/doc/html/erlang.html

No, good HTML :-)

I changed the documentation (actually the SGML to HTML translator) to
conform to the standard "4.01 Transitional". The right way to indent
text in this standard is to use cascade styling sheets, CSS. Netscape
4 does a poor job handling this. Sometimes, not alway, if an indented
DIV section contains a table Netscape don't leave the indentation when
the DIV is ended.

I haven't found a good solution yet. Using UL without LI to indent
as before is not right according to the standard. Using BLOCKQUOTE is
not right, it may give visual effect like a yellow background or
slanted text in some browsers, using tables with hidden transparant
gif files is the common way to do this but it is the wrong way for
lynx users or blind people.

I have asked for help in the news group
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html but got no good answer. Netscape
is just broken and I have to find a way around this.

This was probably more than you wanted to know....  ;-)

kent