user interface

Erik Reitsma (ELN) Erik.Reitsma@REDACTED
Mon May 13 15:51:33 CEST 2002

> Other UI options seem to be balked at every step.

How about using JInterface, making the GUI in Java?
I have been through interviews -> tcl -> gs. When there was a direct interface to tcl, I wrote most of the UI code in Tcl/Tk, and all the real work in Erlang. Now we are planning to port the Tcl/Tk stuff to Java, because our tcl code is for some real old tcl version, which is not very stable (anymore?): it crashes unexpectedly... Hopefully (?) Java will be around for a while, so for UI stuff that would be my first choice.
But I have to admit that I have not looked deep into the more recent Erlang GUI initiatives. It's just that we had the GUI code outside Erlang anyway, because it predates gs.

*Erik.