Debugging inter-node spawning...

Harley Gorrell harley@REDACTED
Wed May 1 19:37:20 CEST 2002

On Wed, 1 May 2002, Harley Gorrell wrote:
> Spawning on the node works just fine.  What should I look
> at to figure out what is wrong?

   I received two replies, to this note which also went to
this list.  Thanks Andreas and Lennart!

   After reading them, I checked again that the cookie was
correct (is was) and tried out the 'net_adm:ping' function
which I hadnt known about.  With ping I could then see a
non-null list from nodes(). So I knew erlang was setup ok.

   After a bit more tinkering, I found that the call was
indeed making the round trip, but the output of 'io:format'
was appearing on the console of the spawning node.  I was
thinking that the output would appear on the remote node.

   Here is an example. 'echo:hi/1' is loaded on 'foo2@REDACTED'
with 'c(echo)'. From a new erl, I spawn the function and
the output appears locally.

--------------------

$erl -sname foo1
Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.1 [source]

Eshell V5.1  (abort with ^G)
(foo1@REDACTED)1> spawn(foo2@REDACTED,echo,hi,[foo2]).
hi2 'foo2'
<38.48.0>