regexp bug (literal dot)

Anders Ramsell anders@REDACTED
Tue Mar 26 00:48:28 CET 2002

Willem Broekema wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>  From what I understand, in regexps, "." means 'any char' and "\." means
> a literal dot.
>
> So, the following is a bug:
>
> 170> regexp:match("a", ".").
> {match,1,1}
>
> 171> regexp:match("a", "\.").
> {match,1,1}  % shouldn't match!

I don't think your problem is a bug in regexp. The problem is a mistake
in using backslash-quoting in string literals. The string literal "\."
is actually the same as the string literal ".". To get a string literal
representing a string with a backslash and a dot you need to write
"\\.". This is illustrated by the following tests:

1
1
 > string:len("\\.").

2

As you can see the first two string literals represent strings of length
one and the third represents a string of length two.

/Anders