File system software???

Joe Armstrong joe@REDACTED
Thu Jun 27 11:47:23 CEST 2002

On 27 Jun 2002, Gordon Beaton wrote:

> On 27 Jun 2002 08:53:56 GMT, Joe Armstrong wrote:
> > Does anybody know of some software I can use for the following:
> >
> >   - I want to create a simple file system *within* a bigger file
> >   - I want this to be fast and in C
>
> mkfs kan build a *real*, mountable filesystem using any ordinary file.
> Typically you create a large, empty file with e.g. "dd" then specify
> that file as the "device" argument to mkfs.

  yes I've  tried this but then you  have to mount the  container via a
loopback device - and to mount it you must be root etc.

 I forgot to say in my original post that I didn't want to mount the
container or to have to have special privileges to use it.

  I want to *manipulate* the container by a normal unprivileged
user-land program.