Verbosity of gen_server crash reports

Shawn Pearce spearce@REDACTED
Tue Jun 18 04:16:33 CEST 2002

I have a gen_server process which is crashing on me during
development.  It looks like gen_server is trying to be
helpful in creating a crash report on the console, complete
with my module's state at the time of the crash.

Unfortunately, my module's state contains an OTP queue (queue:new())
which holds about 15 - 20 binaries.  Each binary is about 120+ KB.
Right now gen_server is dumping the complete content of every one of
these binaries to my console as an ASCII dump.  I don't really want
to set my xterm to that kind of scrollback buffer.  Right now I
am dumping Erlang's stdout and stderr streams to a file using
shell IO redirection and scrolling through the file....

Worse, the server receives these binaries as messages through
its handle_info/2 function, and these are being reported
as part of the crash dump.

So my IO redirected crash report is 9.6 MB.  At least Erlang
created the crash report in a matter of minutes. :-)

Is there some way to set the depth of the crash report's term
display so I can minimize the amount of data I must weed through?

As it turns out, the current crash is a simple function_clause
mismatch with lists:foldl...  Easy enough to fix if I have the
crash report...

--
Shawn.

Why do I like Perl?  Because ``in accordance with Unix tradition Perl
gives you enough rope to hang yourself with.''

Why do I dislike Java? Because ``the class ROPE that should contain the
method HANG to do the hanging doesn't exist because there is too much
'security' built into the base language.''