Suggestion: file:is_directory

Klacke <>
Mon Jun 17 11:07:38 CEST 2002

On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 09:50:42PM -0500,  wrote:
> I'm finding Erlang to be a great scripting language for things that
> I'd normally use Perl for.  One little addition to the file module

I do too, it's ideal for little sysadmin daemons on a server.
I'm currently running two small erlang housekeeping
programs on my home server at

One which is responsible for keeping the adsl connection to my
isp constantly up.

And one which is tail'ing the maillog in order to pull out
the IP addresses of remote authenticated pop3 users, and then
write those IP addresses into a sendmail table so that sendmail
can run the "pop3 before smtp" HACK.

Erlang is ideal for this type of tasks. Besides, I've never understood

Claes Wikstrom                        -- Caps lock is nowhere and
Alteon WebSystems                     -- everything is under control
cellphone: +46 70 2097763