Erlang killer app?,
Mon Jul 29 22:41:52 CEST 2002
I will add my two and a half pesetas worth of, erm... wisdom, to what has
already been said :-)
In my humble opinion, a wider developer base wold be beneficial because
there would be new and fresh ideas streaming in. In order to reach this
wider audience, one or several "killer apps" might help.
I think it might be helpful to list some things that I think would serve the
purpose (either per se, or as a base for future development).
- servers for more protocols than HTTP: FTP, SMTP, IMAP, etc. Also
WebDAV, Web Services. Even better, a "gen_xxx" framework for writing such
servers. Ease of use should be balanced with efficiency.
- clients for the above.
- Windows users can't compile the sources at the moment - no unified
heap, no possibilities for hacking the runtime. Hopefully it will be gcc
based, not VC.
- better support under Emacs, integrating syntax_tools, igor, distel.
Even better, Ermacs! (and it wouldn't hurt if Ermacs would work for Windows
- the already mentioned massive multiplayer games - with truly alive
entities, distribution, etc
- a better graphical UI kit. Maybe with alive widgets!? Maybe even a GUI
builder (a la Delphi/Kylix)?
Just some ideas, please feel free to add more. Last night I thought there
were more of them :-) About the last one, I might be able to show something
at the user conference, but there are many question marks about my available
spare time, so don't hold your breath.
MSN Hotmail är världens populäraste e-posttjänst. Skaffa dig ett eget konto
du också: http://www.hotmail.com
More information about the erlang-questions